Friday, June 15, 2012

Posted by Elie gh On 5:47 PM

 
       This post is dedicated to a special friend, one that had been there next to me for more than 11 years. He spent every single day with me and gave me unconditional love. His name is Ricky and if you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m refereeing to my dog. 

      I’ve been a longtime advocate for Peta , and since I have my blog I should give a voice to those who cannot speak for themselves. I’m glad to see that in Lebanon people are more aware of animal welfare.  
I applaud the efforts of  Beta  (Beirut for the ethical treatment of animals) and Animals Lebanon , both associations are really active and working hard to help so many homeless animals in need. I hope that my post will shed some light and people will respect and appreciate their efforts.

      To show my support I have incorporated a link on my blog (on the right side bar between the labels and blog archives) to a petition making animal abuse illegal in Lebanon. Animals Lebanon has already reached almost 17000 signatures and hopes to get to 25000. Therefore I urge my readers to help (700 readers so far, it’s a huge number for me).

       My dog is an adopted and rescued poodle, he went through hell and when I got to him he was severely bitten and wondering the streets. I couldn’t just stand the horror, I decided to foster him but I quickly got attached to him. He was such a sweet and adorable dog and still trusting humans after being seriously mistreated by his previous owners. 

       Therefore I adopted him for good, and now 11 years after the incident he’s getting old and weak but he knows he has his family that will always be looking after him. His life may had a rough beginning but his present and future are bright. 

    I urge everybody to adopt and not buy because you will be encouraging puppy mills or farms where females have litter after litter and are euthanized after 5 years.

Top reasons to adopt: 
  • Rescuing a homeless animal
  • You can foster and if everything goes smoothly you can adopt
  •  Dogs and cats will be usually house broken and trained
  •  You can get help and tips from the associations.
  • Saving money and boycotting animal stores and puppy mills.

      Finally, a pet is a long life commitment so please think carefully before deciding to buy a pet. It’s not just a gift for Christmas. Even if you feel eventually it’s too much responsibility to handle ; abandoning a pet on the street is never the solution, do pass by a shelter and they will gladly take the pets and find them a loving family.

Ricky enjoying some Chinese food.






0 comments:

Post a Comment